ORANGEBURGH_SC-L Archives

Archiver > ORANGEBURGH_SC > 2008-07 > 1215450703

From: "Harriet Imrey" <>
Subject: Re: [ORANGEBURGH_SC] Spencer BOLTON, Isaac DYKES
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 13:11:43 -0400

The available early censuses do not provide enough information to be certain
that Solomon Bolton was the father of Spencer Bolton, rather than an older
brother. In 1800, Solomon Bolton had children born 1774<84, while the
oldest (in-household) child of Spencer Bolton was born 1784<90. Both had
children born 1790<1800. Either relationship is possible. Both had
moderately large families in 1790, but the census categorization of "All
other free persons" did not sort males into age groups of 16+ vs. younger.

Solomon and Spencer Bolton marked their names on a 1794 petition of
Georgetown District residents who objected to paying the recently-imposed
poll tax on "free Negroes, Mustees and Mulatoes". A copy of the petition is
online at www.geocities.com/ourmelungeons/petition1794.html. The family was
enumerated as white, and presumably not taxed, in Orangeburgh in 1800,
Spartanburg in 1810 and Greenville in 1820, but considered Mulatto again in
Hamilton Co TN in 1860. Other members of the triracial communities
centering around the Cheraws and Pee Dee regions of northeastern SC and
adjoining sections of Anson/Bladen/Robeson Co NC were also assigned random
categorizations that varied from one census to another.