ORANGEBURGH_SC-L Archives

Archiver > ORANGEBURGH_SC > 2008-07 > 1215437918

From: "Margaret Waters" <>
Subject: Re: [ORANGEBURGH_SC] Spencer BOLTON, Isaac DYKES
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:38:38 -0400

Kay,

>From a quick look at the census records you mentioned, I'd say that Solomon
was possibly Spencer's father. He is 45 or older in the 1810 census whereas
Spencer was 26-44. They were both living in Orange Parish at that census as
you noted. They seem to have been in the area of Middlepen Swamp at that
census, though. If you look at a modern map of Orangeburg County, Middlepen
Swamp runs parallel to US 301 going from Orangeburg to I-26.

Spencer purchased the land on Goodland Swamp from Isaac Dykes in Dec 1806
(after Solomon died???). He sold it in March 1807, though, to Jeremiah
Ainsworth, so he apparently did not stay there very long. As the census
shows, he was in Spartanburg District by 1810. Goodland Swamp flows into the
South Fork of the Edisto River just east of the town of Springfield in
Orangeburg County.

Orangeburg County lost all of its courthouse records, including deeds, in
the Civil War. The two deeds mentioned above were in the possession of a
private individual but have been microfilmed and are available at the South
Caroliniana Library in Columbia. They have also been abstracted in SC
Magazine of Ancestral Research, vol. 8, p. 137.

My opinion on where Solomon and Spencer were living at the 1810 census is
based on my mapping work with Orangeburgh District land records. I recognize
some of their near neighbors in that census as living in the vicinity of
Middlepen Swamp.

I hope this is of some help,
Margaret

www.orangeburghplats.com