ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2012-01 > 1326692087

From: "Dee's Genealogy" <>
Subject: [ONTARIO] John Wilson and Nova Scotia Birth Record - 1791
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 23:34:47 -0600

Finally getting back to my e-mail!!!

Bill,

I previously answered your email with the suggestion to check the bottom
half of this email. Then I looked for myself and - there is not much
there. My apology to you. Here is further info as you have requested.

John Willson/Wilson was born Abt. 1791 on the Atlantic Ocean and died 1869
in Bayham Twsp, Elgin, Ontario, Canada. I recently found a family tree on
Ancestry.com that said the birth was registered in Nova Scotia. That tree
also states that his wife's name was Pauline. This tree was placed by a
professional researcher who I thought might have valid info. No response to
my emails to her/him . . . Decided to find what I could on the Nova Scotia
registration. Also note worthy, the 1861 census states that John Sr. is
Quaker . . .

The family always called John's wife Polly and that is what is on her
gravestone. Polly was born abt 1800 in Quebec, Canada and died 1860 in
Bayham Twsp, Elgin, Ontario, Canada. They are both buried in the Calton
Cemetery, Elgin County. I've not been able to find any birth record or
parents names for Polly.
NOTE: Dad said he thought Polly's maiden name was Brooks, and I have a
family photo with a David Brooks in it. HOWEVER, The death certificate of
John Wilson Jr, 1839 - 1914, states that Polly's maiden name was Brake, born
in Canada, and John Wilson Sr. was born in "Saught Carelina" or maybe
"Saught Carel??a." This info was given by Mrs. John (Isabella)Wilson.

Death record for Oliver Wilson states he was born in New York. I found an
Oliver on the Kings County Census (Brooklyn, NY) but unable to prove it is
this Oliver. Death Certificate gives date of death as December 1880 in
Lapeer County, Michigan at a specific age which calculates back to 1817.
That would mean Polly was age 17 at his birth and John and Polly might have
married in 1816 or 1817. Oliver is probably their first child.

I find this couple in Bayham Township, Elgin County, Ontario with the birth
of their son, Bradford in 1825. A cousin who is Bradford's direct
descendant has researched this guy pretty thoroughly and feels his date of
birth is accurate. There is also a son, David who was age 71 on the 1894
Michigan census which would make him born in 1823 or 1824. Other records
I've found make me think David was born in 1824.

Additional children, all born in Bayham Twsp, are:
Mary Ann 1827 - 1901, m. Jacob Sprangler
Ransom 1831 - 1890, m. Elizabeth Powell
Elias 1833 - 1896, m. Emma Culver in Ontario, she died where they moved to
in Lapeer, Michigan & he remarried to Martha Jane Travis in MI.
Caroline 1838 - 1920, m. ??Gibson Wilson. No record of this man ever living
in the Elgin County area . . .
John Jr. 1839 - 1914, m. Isabella Rolls. 1st child, James born in Canada in
1862; the rest of the 14 are born in Michigan. I have all birth records but
one.

Oliver m.?? died 1880 in Michigan. There is an Oliver Wilson who lived
with John in MI for a while. Oliver's son???
Bradford m. Sarah Elizabeth Boyd and died 1899.
David m. (probably not), and d. between 1894, when he was listed on the
Michigan 1894 census living with John in MI, and 1905 when it was noted in a
History of Bay County, Michigan book article that John and Caroline were the
only survivors of the family.

That Bay County Michigan History article also states that John was born in
the province of Ontario and was the son of John, and Polly Brooks Wilson,
who was born in Quebec. The article goes on to say that John, the father,
was born in South Carolina and was a soldier in the War of 1812. At an
early date he moved to Ontario, Canada. ( I had a researcher at the Allen
County Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana go through all the War of 1812 records
and he found nothing on John being a soldier on either side.) John was one
of 12 children. NOTE: this book was published in 1905 - 36 years after
John Sr. died. To me, the south Carolina birth place is suspect . . . as is
the War of 1812 service for John Sr.

Elias and John Jr. both raised their families in Michigan and died and are
buried there. The rest of the family is in or near Elgin County, Ontario.

I'm looking for missing pieces, such as David's death place and date and, of
course, the birth registration for John Sr. and a birth place for
Polly/Pauline.

Any thoughts or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Dee Sager
Neosho, Missouri

I'm trying to prove if that info is accurate.