ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2012-01 > 1326666052

From: Marg McFarlane <>
Subject: Re: [ONTARIO] Jane Easterbrook MORCOMBE
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 15:20:52 -0700

Hi:

Is this them on the 1841 England census, perhaps:

Registration district:OkehamptonSub-registration district:Okehampton
Neighbors:View others on
page</cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1841&sin=C0000006&siv=DEVHO107_232_236-0177>
Piece:233Book:7Folio:7Page Number:8Household Members:NameAgeWilliam
Morcombe<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1841&indiv=try&h=1235687>;
40Jane Morcombe<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1841&indiv=try&h=1235688>;
40Mary Morcombe<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1841&indiv=try&h=1235689>;
15John Morcombe<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1841&indiv=try&h=1235690>;
11George Morcombe<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1841&indiv=try&h=1235691>;
8Henry Morcombe<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1841&indiv=try&h=1235692>;
5Jane Morcombe<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1841&indiv=try&h=1235693>7
Mo

If this is them on the 1841 census, then I found them still in the same
community in 1851.

Then they are in Canada, Jane and her husband James Ford and their son
George and her mother:

On the 1861 census of Canada West (Ontario), Durham County, 2nd Concession
of Darlington Twp., pre-printed page number 27:

Two members of the household are Males, two are females, house is of frame
construction, 1 story high with 1 family living in it:
James FORD Carpenter born England age 25 Married religion: P. M.
(Prim Methodist?)
Jane FORD Wife born England age 20, Married same religion
George FORD born Ontario age 3, Single same religion
Jane MORCOME born England age 66, Single, widow same religion
If I recall correctly, on the 1841 England census, adults’ ages were
rounded to the nearest “O” or “5”.

If you don’t have a Global subscription or Canada subscription to
Ancestry.com or .ca let me know & I’ll email you the original census page.

In 2009, an Ancestry member, Nancy Reay, made a correction to the surname
spelling of Jane and wrote, “The correct spelling of this surname is
MORCOMBE. She is living in the home of her daughter and son-in-law. The
correction is being made by a family member.”

In 1871, they are still in the same locale:

Province: Ontario District: Durham West District Number: 50 Division: 05
Subdistrict: Darlington Subdistrict Number: a

James Ford 34 born Eng, Married, Wesleyan Methodist, carpenter
Jane Ford 30 born England, same religion
George Ford 12 all kids born Ontario
William Ford 9
Thomas Ford 8
Clephas? Ford 6
Bertha Ford 4
This is how they are indexed at both Ancestry and at the LDS site
www.familysearch.org in 1881 in Ontario, Canada:

James FOUREL M Male English 45 England Carpainter Methodist
Jane FOUREL M Female English 40 England Methodist
William J. FOUREL Male English 19 O <Ontario> Carpainter
Methodist
Thomas FOUREL Male English 18 O <Ontario> Methodist
Cleophos FOUREL Male English 16 O <Ontario> Son Methodist
Bertha J. FOUREL Female English 14 O <Ontario> Going To
School Methodist
Hedley J. FOUREL Male English 6 O <Ontario> Going To School
Methodist
Source Information:
Census Place Wawanosh West, Huron North, Ontario
Family History Library Film 1375910
NA Film Number C-13274
District 175
Sub-district E
Division 2
Page Number 11
Household Number 48

In 1891:
Province: Ontario District Number: 78 District: Huron West Subdistrict:
Wawanosh West, pages 6 and 7:

James Ford Head 55 born England, Married, Carpenter, Methodist
Jane Ford Wife 50 born England, Married
Hedley J Ford Son 16 born Ontario
Thomas S Ford Son 27 Married born Ontario, Farmer, Methodist
Annie Ford Dau-in-law 23 Married born Ontario
Eveline Ford GrDau 2 born Ontario
Thomas Ford GrSon 2 months born Ontario

In 1901, search for them at www.automatedgenealogy.com and you will find:
Province: Ontario
District: Huron (east/est)
District Number: 73
Sub-District: Wingham (Town/Ville)
Sub-District Number: G-4
Jas Ford Head Married 65 born England on January 6, 1836 Emig 1850 or
1852?? Hard to read
Jane Ford Wife Married 60 born England on November 20 or 26?, 1840,
Emigrated 1853??, hard to read

Jane’s death:
Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869-1938 and Deaths Overseas, 1939-1947
County of Huron, Division of Wingham
Name: Jane Ford
Death Date: 9 Aug 1907
Death Place: Shuter? Street, Wingham, Huron, Ontario
Age: 66
Gender: Female
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1841
Birth Location: England
Marital status and occupation: Married woman
Cause: Cancer of liver
Religion: Methodist
Informant of Death: S. Gracey (S. Gracey may have been the undertaker as
he/she was informant on other deaths in the County)
Physician: A. H. Paget
Death Registration: #014660
Jane’s parents’ names were not on the death registration.

Jane’s husband:
Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869-1938 and Deaths Overseas, 1939-1947
County of Huron, Division of Turnberry
Name: James Ford
Death Date: 2 Feb 1915
Death Place: Turnberry, Huron County, Ontario
Age: 80 years & 26 days
Gender: Male
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1835
Birth Location: England
Marital Status: Widower
Parents’ names: (Blank)
Occupation: Gentleman
Physician: Dr. Hambly
Informant: John H. Ford
Cause of Death: Apoplexy
Place of Burial: Bethel Cemetery
Reg. #016253

Bethel Cemetery with photos of your people's headstones here:
http://cemetery.canadagenweb.org/ON/ONB11647/

Some kids marriages:

Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1801-1928
County of Huron, Division of West Wawanosh
Name: Thomas Henry Ford, bachelor, farmer, resides West Wawanosh, Methodist
Birth Place: Darlington, Ontario
Age: 22
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1864
Father Name: James Ford
Mother Name: Jane E Morcombe Ford
Spouse Name: Annie Taylor, spinster, resides West Wawanosh, Methodist
Spouse's Age: 19
Spouse Birth Place: Wawanosh
Spouse Father Name: Thomas Taylor
Spouse Mother Name: Alice Mcguire
Marriage Date: 3 Mar 1886
Marriage Place: Whitechurch, Huron
Witnesses: Bertha Ford & Charles Taylor both of West Wawanosh
Minister: Rev. Sanderson
Reg. #004708

Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1801-1928
County of Huron, Division of West Wawanosh
Name: Bertha Ford, spinster, Methodist, resides Wawanosh
Birth Place: Darlington, Ontario
Age: 19
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1867
Father Name: James Ford
Mother Name: Jane Muecomb (spelling as indexed on Ancestry)
Spouse Name: Charles Wesley Taylor, bachelor, farmer, Methodist, resides
Wawanosh ,
Spouse's Age: 22
Spouse Birth Place: Wawanosh
Spouse Father Name: John H. Taylor
Spouse Mother Name: Elizabeth Inglis Taylor
Marriage Date: 29 Dec 1886
Marriage Place: Whitechurch , Huron
Witnesses: Cleophas Ford, Catherine Taylor, both of Wawanosh
Minister: Rev. Sanderson
Reg. #005145

Bertha married a second time:
Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1801-1928
Name: Bertha Jane Taylor, widow, Presbyterian, resides Wingham, Ontario
Birth Place: Darlington, Ontario
Age: 46
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1868
Father Name: James Ford
Mother Name: Jane Eashbrooke (spelling as Indexed at Ancestry)
Spouse Name: Samuel Walsh, widower, farmer, Methodist, resides East
Wawanosh Township
Spouse's Age: 60
Spouse Birth Place: County of Halton, Ontario
Spouse Father Name: Thos Walsh
Spouse Mother Name: Isabel Wrigglesworth
Marriage Date: 16 Sep 1914
Marriage Place: Village of Blyth, County of Huron, Ontario
Witnesses: H. A. Thomas and M. S. Turner, both of Blyth, Ontario
Minister: W. D. Thomas, Blyth, Ontario (Presbyterian)
Reg. #013012

Also, go here and scroll to Ontario for online records, NOT complete, or
scroll to Canada on this page as well:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&region=NORTH_AMERICA

Wesleyan Methodist Baptisms, start on this page, look for parents' names of
James & Jane in Darlington, Huron County:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wjmartin/wm-f_39.htm

Volume 2 Page 567 Lanark Co. Darlington Twp. Cleophas Ford James Jane
Darlington Darlington 1864-08-13 1864-10-16 Darlington Clement, Rev. E.

Volume 2 Page 533 Durham Co. Darlington Twp. George Ford James Jane
Darlington Darlington 1858-12-18 1860-10-13 Darlington McFadden, Rev.
William

And I'll leave you to find other records.

Marg in Sunny Alberta