ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2012-01 > 1326515695

From: Joanna Waugh <>
Subject: Re: [ONTARIO] Last chance for help on Elizabeth Hayes
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 23:37:59 -0500

Doing a goggle search on names and Cooksville turned up this marriage.
Marriage in Peel County 1862
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/peel62p2.htm
Jacob COOK, 64, Pennsylvania USA, Cooksville, s/o Andrew & Ann
Christiana, married Sarah CROW?, 56?, England, Toronto twp., d/o
Samuel & Hannah, witn: Elizabeth HAYES of Toronto twp & Harriet COOK
of Cooksville, 4 Oct. 1862
(src: http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/peel62p2.htm)

>From the 1861 census, it appears that Sarah Crewe's first husband was
William Crewe, a doctor in Cooksville. A marriage date of 1823 is
shown.
Her cemetery stone is online and names this first husband as Wm P
Crewe. His stone says he came from Newcastle under lyme,
Staffordshire.

The following is from LDS site

England, Cheshire Bishop's Transcripts, 1598-1900 for William Poole
Crewe
William Poole Crewe
Event: Marriage
Event Date: 03 Apr 1823
Event Place: Cheadle, Cheshire, England
Gender: Male
Age:
Marital Status:
Father:
Mother:
Spouse: Sarah Hayes
Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Father:
Spouse's Mother:
Film Number: 1655427
Digital Folder Number: 4011835
Image Number: 617

I am wondering if Sarah Hayes was an aunt to your Elizabeth. This
relationship may be something to research further.
Joanna

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 19:39:52 -0700
> From: "Barbara Lewis" <>
> Subject: [ONTARIO] Last chance for help on Elizabeth Hayes
> To: <>
>
> I have been on this list since it began and have received so much
help on my other
> lines. I am now finally writing up the story on my ggrandmother,
Elizabeth Hayes
> and will then close the book on her life and move onto other
projects. I have her life
> in England up to 1851 and then she shows up married in Cooksville,
Peel county, in
> 1863. I have the rest of her life from then on.
>
> In other words, what I need to find out is what happened to her
after finding her in
> the 1851 census of England (Staffordshire) and before she married
in Cooksville in
> 1863.
>
> I?ve tried so hard to find her in the 1861 census of Ontario. Her
parents were both
> deceased back in England and I want so badly to know who brought her
to Canada
> and where they lived.....it was between 1851 and 1863. I even
transcribed the entire
> 1861 census of Toronto Twp for the Genweb Census project, hoping to
find
> Elizabeth there. All I have is her marriage certificate from the
Methodist Church in
> Cooksville where she was married to Maurice Collins.
>
> My question...is there any other place I can look to find any other
record of her in
> Ontario that would help he to know
> #1...who she was living with when she came into Ontario
> #2 where they were living. I would love to be able to add this
information to the
> story I am writing.
>
> Hoping someone might help me to know where to look next....
> Barbara Lewis

This thread: