ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2011-12 > 1325096085

From: dvw <>
Subject: Re: [ONTARIO] Writing a novel based on a murder in the family
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:14:45 -0800 (PST)

3 sisters went to Lincoln, Nebraska.  The first I think was married here but have never been able to find her marriage the other 2 were married in Lincoln.  The third sister who I'm talking of was born in 1866, married in 1898 to a man who was born in 1875.  Nine years younger than her.  They moved to Detroit and she had 5 children the baby dying sometime in 1910 same year as the father was murdered.  The husband was a streetcar conductor and from family accounts would always come home and talk about the women he had seen.  The mother came home to Ontario her to visit her family and they wanted her to stay here and not go back.  She did go back and then the tragedy occurred.  She was charged with murder, but never convicted.  Instead she went to the Iona state insane asylum she never thought he was dead.

The newspaper article said the tracks in the snow to the shed to get the ax were too small to be a full grown woman as the mother.  None of the evidence added up.  The tracks were the size of the oldest daughters who was 12 at the time.  The sisters in Lincoln took the girls and the husbands family took the boys.