ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2011-06 > 1308236990

From: Pat Jeffs <>
Subject: Re: [ONTARIO] Availability of a Death Certificate
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 16:09:50 +0100

Hi Wendy

Deaths that were recorded in 1872 in Ontario are on Ancestry, complete with
an image of the original registration/certificate.

Please note the proviso I made. Not all deaths were recorded although you
are more likely to find one in Toronto than in rural areas where
communication was more difficult. Registration of deaths started in 1869 and
it took a while for everyone (doctors, local registrars, the general public)
to follow the new regulations. A second problem: did the certificate of
death require the names of the parents of the deceased, and did the person
reporting the death know the information. The content of a death certificate
changed over time. A third proviso: Was the name properly transcribed to
Ancestry's index?

Keep your fingers crossed. The information may or may not be there.

/cheers
Pat

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Wendy Main <> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> Could someone tell me where I would obtain a death certificate for a death
> in
> December 1872 and what would be on it?
>
> I am looking for the information on the parents of a Alexander Warnock who
> was
> born around 1812 in Scotland and died December 5, 1872 in Toronto.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have checked with the cemetery
> and
> they had no parents listed.
>
> Thanks
>

> Wendy Main