ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2010-11 > 1291049323

From: Pat Jeffs <>
Subject: Re: [ONTARIO] Historical Atlas symbols help
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:48:43 +0000

This is a guess, but if the "+", the WM and the SSM are all together,
could the SSM be Sunday School Methodist? I've been looking at the
York County map a lot recently and notice that the churches are
usually marked as stars.
I've also found PM for Paper Mill and WM meaning Woollen Mill. The
mills are circles with crosses inside and they are usually by rivers.

/cheers
Pat

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Nat Skuce <> wrote:
> I've downloaded the map for my county from McGill's Atlas project and need
> some help deciphering a couple of symbols.  The family I'm researching have
> two brothers living side by side, each with about 100 acres.  One of the
> brothers has a "+" symbol drawn in a small box on their property alongside
> the road.
>
> The other brother, has a small rectangle drawn on his property, alongside
> the road with TWO symbols in itt:
>

>   - WM  (a dot with the letters WM)
>
>  *SSM  (an asterisk with the letters SSM)
>
> I do know that there is currently a fairly old cemetery there and once upon
> a time a log church (which is long gone)  Consequently, I'm presuming the
> "+" symbol *may* be the cemetery.  Otherwise, both properties have always
> been farms.
>
> I hope my descriptions of the symbols are clear enough.  Any ideas?
>
> Thank-you!
> Natalie

This thread: