ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2010-11 > 1291048523

From: Nat Skuce <>
Subject: Re: [ONTARIO] Historical Atlas symbols help
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:35:23 -0500

Hi again,

Thanks for the quick responses. Here is a link to the map I was looking at:

http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/Countyatlas/images/maps/townshipmaps/sto-m-winchester.jpg

If you go to the far right-hand side of the map, scroll down approx halfway,
you'll see lots for Peter and Alex Dewar, side-by-side.

There is a possibility that SSM may be for 'sawmill' since there is water
nearby, but it's not fast following water (I'm from the area and know it
well!) and is usually covered in scum during the summer at that point.
There is also no local history folklore, that I'm aware of, about a sawmill
at that location. I'll have to check the land records, perhaps there might
be a clue there.

I'm happy to have some leads on my mystery!

Natalie

This thread: