ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2010-10 > 1287753698

From: Gordon Hillman <>
Subject: [ONTARIO] Interlibrary Loans from LDS
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 09:21:38 -0400

My understanding is that you CAN NOT Interlibrary loan from the Family
History Library in Salt Lake City.

You can order Ontario Vital Records by Interlibrary loans but they do not
come from LDS - they come from the Ontario Archives. The same is true with
other Canadian materials - they come from Archives Canada or Provinclal
Archvies. Canadian archives have the same resources but as I understand it
there is no Interlibrary service with Salt Lake resources.

The LDS material originates from microfilming that they have done around the
world and they are restricted to distribution by agreements with the
original owners of the resource so they can distribute only through their
branches or Family History Centres.

They are indexing and digitizing massive numbers of microfilm and putting
those resources online at familysearch.org under their pilot project. Many
of the Canadian census, Ontario vital records, etc. have already been
indexed there and are available free of charge.

If you are doing research the Family History Centre and their access to the
original documents through that microfilming project are invaluable.

Gordon Hillman
45 years experience with researching in Canada, U.S., England, Scotland,
Hungary, Slovakia, Italy through Family History Centres and Family History
Library

This thread: