ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2010-09 > 1283480992

From: "Debbie Bert" <>
Subject: Re: [ONTARIO] Fw: Border crossing from USA to Canada
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 22:29:57 -0400

In about 1905 my grandfather came from Russia to Canada. I guess it was
cheaper to go to Canada
than to the U.S. By the time he got to Canada he had very little money
left. He had a brother in Detroit, MI,
that was going to take him in and help him find a job so he could send for
my grandmother and their first child.
He didn't have the papers needed to cross the border and didn't have the
money to get them.
For two days he watched the people crossing back and forth. He noticed that
each morning a group of men crossed over to the U.S. to work. They all
carried lunch pails and walked in a group. He took the last of his money
and bought a lunch pail, then the next morning he walked right across with
the group, no questions asked, no papers shown. He was able to get to his
brother and start a new life here.