ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2010-08 > 1282287350

From: "D O'" <>
Subject: Re: [ONTARIO] Fwd: RE: Thomas Parker marr. Ann Miller, both English?,of USA toScarborough, York East, Ontario, Canada.
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 06:55:50 +0000

Catt - you did not mention in previous emails that Thomas Parker married Ann Miller in 1851.

There was no dry cleaning business as such prior to 1876; the method of cleaning materials was to air them, spot washed or steamed and yes.. wash wool. Wool does not shrink if it is properly handled.... after all, it doesn't shrink on a lamb that is left in the rain, does it? Earlier centuries had clothes made of silk, linen and wool and they were all washed by hand at some time or another. (We didn't start shrinking things until we started to use hot water.)

Would you please contact the Toronto City Library to locate the address of the dry cleaning business that you speak of, and they will also give you the name of the proprietor and the date the business started at that address. Perhaps with reliable information from the library sources we can narrow the search instead of searching every Parker listed on Ancestry. See: http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/ask_index.jsp

The previous information I researched for you as noted below, particularly the 1861 Canada Census which gives a child named Richard an approximate birth year of 1847 and likely the child of Thomas Parker's first wife. However, as you know, birth registration in Ontario is available for the period 1869 - 1911.

Doreen

> Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 22:54:25 -0400
> Subject: [ONTARIO] Fwd: RE: Thomas Parker marr. Ann Miller, both English?, of USA toScarborough, York East, Ontario, Canada.
>
> I think it was Albert Parker connected with the Dry Cleaning business and likely on Danforth Ave. or so my mother
> told me.
> I think one of the Parker family worked at Queen's Park as clerk. Descendant went into Journalism. Robert Fisher?
> Can anyone find this information?
>
> It would have been a big help to dry clean those business and church suits, instead of hand washing which would
> shrink the wool.
>
> Thomas Parker was a widower in 1851 when he married spinster Ann Miller, both from England?
> I would like to know his previous wife's name and date of death.
> Thomas Parker likely had older children, to his previous wife.
>
> Can anyone find this information?
> Descendants?
> Catt

This thread: