ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2010-06 > 1276971559

From: "Fiona Waltenberg" <>
Subject: [ONTARIO] Help needed
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 19:19:19 +0100

Hello

I'm hoping someone can help me.here is some background to my request:

Mary Ann Campbell (born Scotland 1822) and Leman Smith (born New York 1814 -
apparently) were married on 25 April 1839 in Orillia, Simco, Ontario. Leman
and Mary Ann had 7 children:

Harriet, born/christened 5 February 1840, Penetanguishene, Simco
John, born/christened 14 December 1841, Penetanguishene, Simco
Mary Ann, born/christened 9 July 1843, Penetanguishene, Simco
Leman, born/christened 1846, Penetanguishene, Simco Simco
Ellen, born/christened December 1848, Penetanguishene Simco
Margaret, born/christened 25 November 1850, Penetanguishene,Simco
William, born/christened 1853, Penetanguishene, Simco

The family were Wesleyan Methodists and by 1861 I believe that they were in
Toronto as Harriet, Mary Ann, Margaret, William and mother Mary Ann are in
the Ontario 1861 Census - Census place - Toronto, York, Ontario. I can't
find the father, Leman, in this census and it's possible that he may have
died between 1853 and 1861.
Harriet's sister Ellen was married on the same day has her and her witness
was Leman Smith though I think that this is her brother Leman, not her
father.

Harriet A Smith married Robert Baron Braik on 14 April 1864 in York
(Toronto). Robert Braik was in the army and he and Harriet had returned to
England by 1871. On the 1871 England Census they have 3 children, Mary Ann,
5 yrs, Catherine, 3 yrs and Ellen, 1 month. The eldest daughter is indicated
as born in Aldershot, England so assuming this is correct they had returned
to England by 1865/1866.

Catherine Braik is my great grandmother. She emigrated to Australia (from
what I can see by herself) in 1893 on the ship Taranto.

Could anyone give me some pointers on:

The possibility and whereabouts of the marriage record for Mary Ann and
Leman (25 April 1839).
A death record for Leman Smith, (father)
A death record for Mary Ann Smith, (mother)
Whether any shipping records might be available for Mary Ann's arrival in
Canada - I'm assuming that she would have come with her family.
Any shipping records for Robert and Harriet Braik leaving Canada.

I would be very grateful for any help that anyone can give as I'm a bit
stuck on this Canadian connection and would like to research this further. I
don't have regular access to Ancestry.com. I obtained the birth information
above from familysearch.org.

Thanks very much

Fiona

This thread: