ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2010-05 > 1273591591

From: "Brian Gilchrist" <>
Subject: [ONTARIO] Hamblin
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 11:26:36 -0400

Greetings from Toronto:
1. Wallace Hamblin in listed on page 595 of "The Bitter 'n Sweet: the
history of Bittern Lake - Sifton District" available online. His named is
recorded in a list of those who served in W. W. I
2. Harry Wallace Hamblin received two Land Grants in Western Canada. See the
Canadian Genealogy Centre website
3. Wallace HAMBING, age 31, arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick on March
30, 1913 onboard the S. S. Corinthian. Reason was to emigrate to Canada for
farming. Church of England was his religion, and the boat sailed from
LaHavre, France.
4. His attestation papers were signed at Edmonton, Alberta which is
consistent with the above local history and land grants.
5. An "H. W. Hamblin" returned to Canada after the War onboard the S.S.
Olympic which sailed Dec. 7, 1918 from Southampton and arrived Dec. 14, at
Halifax. He was enroute to his MOTHER in Winnipeg. Not sure that this is the
same person.
6. He may have lied about his age when enlisting to make himself a couple of
years younger as in checking Civil registration births there is a John
George registered in Tynemouth the the quarter ending Dec. 1874, and then
there is a Henry (Harry is often an abbreviation of Henry - i.e. the current
Prince Harry is Prince Henry) registered in Tynemouth in the quarter ending
June 1879. Interestingly in the 1881 census a 2 year old Henry is living
with his grandmother Eliza Hamblin in Cullercoats as well as a 6 year old
JOHN G. Hamblin living with his grandmother Isabella Moore in Elswick. Did
the parents die and left the boys with their respective grandmothers?
7. On the marriage registration of your grandfather John George who is his
father listed as, the get the birth registration of Henry in 1879 to see if
it matches. I can find not birth registration of a Harry or a Wallace.

Hope that some of this helps - keep us posted!
Cheers!
J. Brian Gilchrist