ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2010-05 > 1272984193

From: Bill Smith <>
Subject: Re: [ONTARIO] How might a Rev War vet have come to live
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 10:43:13 -0400

Hello,
A little bit of research often shows that the "so called" Loyalists were
anything but. My 5th great grandfather, Baltus Harris, came to
Northumberland after serving in the Patriot forces. Yet he is in
"Loyalists in Ontario"? A good indicator to me is when they came, right
after the war or ten or more years later. Simcoe very openly recruited
settlers prior to 1800 and I think that is the key. Many were
opportunists, plain and simple. I have many more instances of my
families whose members served on opposing sides.

Bill Smith
Sarnia, Ont

This thread: