ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2010-03 > 1267880994

From: "Olive Tree Genealogy" <>
Subject: Re: [ONTARIO] Help dating photgraph
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 08:09:54 -0500

On 6 Mar 2010 at 7:16, Barbara Millar wrote:

> Could someone help me date a series of photographs that I
> have - the men all have outer jackets that have one single
> button closing just below the tie.
>
> In another photo the men have beards that only along the jaw
> line the rest of the face is clean shaven.

Barbara

See http://olivetreegenealogy.com/LostFaces/ for help
dating old photographs. There are many clues you can use
besides clothing. In fact dating men's clothing is
extremely difficult, but other clues such as size of photo,
photographer's mark on the verso (back) etc can indicate
timeframes

You can identify ancestor photos by understanding the Types
of Early Photographs and during what time period each was
used.

http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/photos/photo-types.shtml
will get you started.

Lorine