ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2009-08 > 1249951471

Subject: [ONTARIO] Gilchrist on Divorce in Ontario
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:44:31 -0400 (EDT)

You need to consult the Index to Canadian Parliamentary Divorces by J.
Brian Gilchrist and Nancy J. Duffy for a start.

If the entry is there it is a straightforward process to obtain copies of
documents.

If the entry is not there, is is more complex, and indeed you should be
considering the possibility of either a) dissertion with no remarriage, b)
the possibility of a divorce in the US (which was not always recognized in
what is now Canada) or c) as it turns out many of our ancestors and
relations did live common law or committ bigamy.

Cheers!
J. Brian Gilchrist