ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2008-03 > 1206486878

From: "Gail Collins" <>
Subject: [ONTARIO] Barnardo Home Children
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 19:14:38 -0400

YES back then there was a caring/sharing staff.
It was told to me that if the actual cost was charged for
the 'free' work they did, it would amount to $300.
And yes, a donation was most welcome back then.

Today the old staff is gone - government reorganization? - new staff.
It is also felt by BHC descendants that 'our information' should be free.

Join in the British Home Children mailing list. Search their archives.

with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the body
of the
email with no additional text.

with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the body
of the
email with no additional text.

There are also many websites dedicated to this cause - this is a good to
start with which has many links and useful information, sending agent
addresses
search the passenger lists held by the LAC etc etc
http://bhc.kindredbond.com

It is also estimated that 11% of the Canadian population is descended from a
BHC. What would it be world-wide??

It is also something that is NOT taught in the school curriculums. There
are many books now out on the subject and teachers do use them for special
assignments & projects.

It is now 140 years since this migration of children started. We are trying
make 2009 the Year of the British Home Child. We are sending letters to
government officials, our city halls, libraries, museums, newspapers should
be
contacted too, anyone you can think of with a vested interest. Nova Scotia
is
ahead in the game. If you feel like participating there is a standard
letter found
in the archives. Just type in 2009 and it should come up.

Maria Rye Database
Gail Collins 1868 - 1869
Chris Sanham 1880 - 1896

This thread: