ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2007-12 > 1196614750

From: "D O'" <>
Subject: Re: [ONTARIO] entry into Ontario from US circa 1907
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 16:59:10 +0000

Good Morning:

It is my understanding that citizens of the British Empire did not require any special documents to enter Canada. However your ancestors did require documents to enter the USA and therefore a record may exist in Ellis Island. It would be important to know what the Ellis Island documents classified them as (immigrants v. visitors). Normally the USA did not keep a record of those leaving but as your people were processed throuogh Ellis Island there may be a record for them leaving USA and that would likely be held in Vermont. Immigrant records are held in Vermont.

Useful info: http://www.genesearch.com/ports.html

Immigration to Canada - a good source of info:
http://faculty.marianopolis.edu/c.belanger/QuebecHistory/encyclopedia/ImmigrationHistoryofCanada.htm

Doreen