ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2007-05 > 1179416118

From: "Olive Tree Genealogy" <>
Subject: Re: [ONTARIO] Border Crossing Records
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 11:35:18 -0400

Hi Bill

Earlier I posted to the list explaining that Barbara's
statement is incorrect. The lists include Americans and
Canadians -- see details below.

In 1895 Canada and USA established a joint inspection
system. Passengers arriving in Canada who intended to go on
to United States were inspected by US Officials at the
Canadian Port of Arrival, then enumerated on US immigration
lists. Immigrants were also given inspection cards which
they turned in to US Officials once they were on board
trains going to United States. Two sets of records were
created - passenger lists and compiled inspection cards.

These CANADIAN BORDER CROSSING records were microfilmed by
INS. They cover 1895-1954 and are indexed. They do NOT
include Canadians before 1906. After September 30, 1906
both Canadians and non-Canadians are included on these
lists.

More information and a link to the online database the St
Albans (Canadian Border Crossing) Lists is found on Olive
Tree Genealogy at

http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/stalbanslist.shtml

On 17 May 2007 at 11:25, Bill Smith wrote:

> That is strange because my father was listed and he was an
> American born citizen.
>
> Bill Smith
>

> Barbara rule wrote>>>
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 17:16:46 -0700 (PDT)
> From: BARBARA RULE <>
> Subject: Re: [ONTARIO] Boarder Crossing Records
>
> These border crossings are as follows:
>
> Detroit Border Crossing & Passenger & Crew List
> 1905-1957
> Border Crossing From Canada to the U.S. 1895-1956
>
> I am using Ancestry.Com World DeLux program. I have not
> found a listing of entries into Canada, sorry
>
> If your people were American citizens they would not be
> listed. If they were born in Canada and
> not American citizens their return would be listed.
>
> Was Emma the Mother? Did they return to the US? Who was
> the father, I can check the U.S. Census
> records for 1910 and see if I can get anything.
>
> Barbara
>

> Tish <> wrote:
> I have been looking for a border crossing in approx.
> 1911 from Minn. to
> Manitoba.
>
> Emma Cairns - age unknown
>
> Dorothy Cairns approx 12 years old
>
> Helen Cairns approx 9 years old
>
> Margaret Kennedy, sister to Emma, age unknown
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Tish

-- Lorine McGinnis Schulze

* Olive Tree Genealogy (Ships Passenger Lists)
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/
* Naturalization Records
http://naturalizationrecords.com/
* Images of Ships Lists