ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2007-04 > 1175795636

From: "Olive Tree Genealogy" <>
Subject: Re: [ONTARIO] Canadian Border Crossings to New York ports by wagontrains, 1876
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 13:53:56 -0400

In 1895 Canada and USA established a joint inspection
system. Passengers arriving in Canada who intended to go on
to United States were inspected by US Officials at the
Canadian Port of Arrival, then enumerated on US immigration
lists. Immigrants were also given inspection cards which
they turned in to US Officials once they were on board
trains going to United States. Two sets of records were
created - passenger lists and compiled inspection cards.

These CANADIAN BORDER CROSSING records were microfilmed by
INS. They cover 1895-1954 and are indexed. They do NOT
include Canadians before 1906. After September 30, 1906
both Canadians and non-Canadians are included on these
lists.

For more information on the St Albans (Canadian Border
Crossing) Lists (including film numbers), see
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/stalbanslist.shtml

> > I have not been able to find my great Grandparents on
> any of the ships
> > listings I've searched. They were in the Napanee,
> Lennox County, Ontario
> > area June 14, 1869.

The National Archives of Canada (NAC) holds immigration
records from 1865 to 1935. Unfortunately the records
before
1925 are not indexed. To find a passenger you will need to
know an exact date of arrival.

There is no easy way to search Canadian arrival records for
the unindexed period other than reading microfilm. Ships
are
on the reel, in order of arrival. You can find the details
at this URL

http://www.archives.ca/02/020202_e.html

If you want to order filmed passenger lists (remember they
aren't indexed!), a list of NAC microfilm numbers for
passenger lists to Canada 1865-1922 can be found at

http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/filmnos_can1865.shtml

you can search these unindexed years at Library and
Archives Canada which has digitized passenger lists for
1865 to 1935 as part of their
new Moving Here, Staying Here online exhibition at
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/immigrants/index-e.html

They're available now as Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-
1922
<http://collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/passenger/index-
e.html>

NO, they are not searchable by passenger name yet, but
hopefully, one day....

**********************
What's Available Online in Passenger Lists

If you want to try your luck searching transcribed ships
passenger lists online, passenger lists for Ships to Canada
after 1865 are freely available at

http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tocan1865-now.shtml

Passenger Lists 1925-1935 are indexed and online at
ArchiviaNet at
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/02011801_e.html

Home Children (1869-1930) database indexes from ships
passenger lists is available at
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020110_e.html

Nanaimo Family History Society has a Passenger List
Indexing Project for 1900-1921 online at
http://members.shaw.ca/nanaimo.fhs/

**********************

There are search engines to search online free databases on
multiple websites for ships to Canada at

http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/search_shipscanada.shtml

The Ontario Archives has an index to the assisted
immigration registers created by the Toronto Emigrant
Office between 1865 and 1883. Over 29,000 entries have been
transcribed from the registers.

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/db/hawke.htm

**********************

There are ships to NB, Halifax NS and Quebec 1900-1914
transcribed several years ago by George Dorscher. You can
find them online here

AHSGR Ship and Immigration Records
http://www.odessa3.org/collections/ships/

**********************

Miscellaneous Websites with Immigration Information on
Ships
to Canada after 1865

The Ships List
http://www.theshipslist.com/

Ships Passenger Lists Online
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/

Finding Ships Passenger Lists to Canada
http://shipslists-online.rootschat.net/canada/

Ships Passenger Lists to Canada 1865-1930
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tocan1865-now.shtml

-- Lorine McGinnis Schulze

* Olive Tree Genealogy (Ships Passenger Lists)
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/
* Naturalization Records
http://naturalizationrecords.com/
* Images of Ships Lists