ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2006-06 > 1150032492

From: "Betty" <>
Subject: New List ?? CANADA-USA-CONNECTIONS ???
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:28:12 -0400

Hello,

Several years ago I came up with an idea for a new List at RootsWeb, but
I did not follow through with it !

Last week, I decided to put my suggestion out to a few Lists to see if
others agree that it is a List which would be useful to researchers.

I would call it: CANADA-USA-CONNECTIONS and it would be a place where
researchers could discuss or post queries on their ancestors who either
moved from Canada to the U.S. or moved from the U.S. to Canada ! It
would include the 1600's to the 1900's, and it would cover either temporary
moves or permanent moves !

There is a List called: BRITISH-CONNECTIONS, which gave me the idea !
(I have 3 sets of great-grandparents who either lived in Canada first, whose
parents had come to Canada first, or who lived in the U.S. but spent time
living in Canada.) *

I have already posted this suggestion to the "British Home Children" List,
and several people responded and said it was a good idea ! I also posted
it to the ME, MA, and NH Lists (U.S.), and several people there responded
and said it was a good idea ! Someone on the ME (Maine) List even
volunteered to "start" the List.

However, there has been several days of discussions on what the name of the
List should be. And, people are discussing whether "one" List -- covering
all of Canada and all of the U.S. States is too much !

I thought "one" List would be a good starting point, and, if the List got
too busy, then it could be split in half:
CAN-USA-CONNECTIONS-EAST (CUCE)
CAN-USA-CONNECTIONS-WEST (CUCW)

But, the person who would like to "start" the List and be the List
Administrator thinks it would be a good idea to divide the Lists in
"thirds" (East, Middle, and West).

And, I am posting this morning to the Eastern Provinces to ask if any of you
would like to see such a new List ! (I think it should start off with
"one" List and see how it goes !)

Someone on one of the Lists already said she has "data" which could be added
to such a List. And, she reminded me that some people, for example,
lived in Canada and worked in the U.S., or lived in one country and married
in the other, etc., etc., etc.

Thank you for your time.

Betty (near Lowell, MA, USA)

*
I research the:

KERR / HENDERSON family-group who arrived in Quebec Province in 1823 from
Ireland;
my great-grandfather, William KERR, came down to Boston ~1874 and married
here !

LEWIS / CORKILL great-grandparents who were "British Home Children" leaving
Liverpool, England,
in 1874 and going to homes in Nova Scotia. They married there in 1879,
and migrated to Boston in 1881.
They raised 13 children here.

KIDDER ancestor who left New Hampshire in 1784 to go to New Brunswick; he
was not known to be a Loyalist,
but probably traveled with them. He died early leaving a wife and newborn
son. When the son was an adult,
he moved to Maine and married there.

RICE ancestors left Massachusetts for "Maine" after the War and then went to
Nova Scotia for a few years;
they moved back to Lubec / Eastport, ME, around 1800, and remained there !

WILKINS daughter who married her cousin, Joseph KIDDER, had her parents
leave Maine and spend a few years
in New Brunswick. After the death of her mother, the family returned to
Maine.

(G. Sanford KIDDER of Maine married Louise RICE of Massachusetts in 1898 in
ME, but lived in MA.)

(Maine did not become a State until 1820.)

This thread: