ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2006-05 > 1148260505

From: "Brian Gilchrist" <>
Subject: Re: [ONT] H.M. 77th Regiment
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 21:15:05 -0400

Hey Doug:

Just a few quick thoughts for you ...

1. If memory serves me correctly the transcription of the St. Andrew's
records is based upon the Roberston transcription. I am not at home now, so
can not check to see if the original records have been compared since.

2. The marriage "certificate" would have (maybe) been given to the couple at
the time of the ceremony, if indeed one was given to them at all.

3. source: Archives of Ontario. District Marriage Registers series. Home
District register, Vol. 2, page 302. Joseph Reid, of Toronto, Bachelor, and
Belle Ann Harrison, Spinster. Married 10 Nov. 1847 in Toronto by Rev. John
Barclay. Witnesses: W. Taylor and Sarah Harrison.

4. As this marriage was performed by a Presbyterian Minister no copy was
required to be entered in either the Anglican registers nor the Roman
Catholic registers.

5. A copy of the marriage may be found with his service record, or it could
be annotated on the page requiring family details. There are several
variables which could play a role in this process.

6. If Joseph died in Toronto before 1900, and if there was indeed a monument
erected to his memory, it seems that that no stone has survived or it is
illegible.

Hope that this helps.

Cheers!
Brian

J. Brian Gilchrist
1966 - 2006: Celebrating 40 years of genealogical research
Box 74503, 270 The Kingsway
Etobicoke, ON
M9A 2H8