ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2006-05 > 1148238585

From: "Doug Porteous" <>
Subject: RE: [ONT] H.M. 77th Regiment
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 15:09:45 -0400

Hi Pat,

It's all quite confusing to me since my knowledge of military history is
quite poor (something I hope to rememdy soon!). One of my biggest challenges
is figuring out the various places where Joseph REID might have been
garrisoned.

I finally found some information at the PRO site that seems to match my
Joseph, but the number of regiments he served in seems quite high:

"Covering dates 1827-1848
Scope and content JOSEPH REED
Born DRUMACOZA, Londonderry [Google thinks that should be 'DRUMCOURA
Londonderry'] Served in 56th Foot Regiment; 68th Foot Regiment; 77th Foot
Regiment; 81st Foot Regiment; 11th Foot Regiment Discharged aged 45"

He would have been discharged ca. 1848 (the 1871 census gives his age as 68,
indicating a DOB of 1803), the year following his marriage to Isabella
Harrison. I'm inferring that the regiment somehow ended up in Toronto (but
when, I wonder, did Joseph arrive?).

The obit only mentions one regiment (perhaps it was the one he was serving
in when he met Isabella, or it was the best known). The "military angle"
makes him more interesting than my other gg-grandfathers (George PORTEOUS,
Archibald BELL, Henry MCCUAIG, Peter MCARTHUR, Alexander DOUGLAS, Thomas
ARTHURS and Joseph GODSON), who all seemed to be in the "farming business"
in Scotland or England. :-)

Thanks for your note (I believe I've thanked all other responders offline).

Cheers,
--Doug