ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2006-05 > 1148079098

From: Bill Davidson <>
Subject: Re: [ONT] H.M. 77th Regiment
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 18:51:38 -0400

Doug, are you sure about the date? I see the 57/77 (looks like they
have merged) - Regimental Name is "Middlesex Regiment, The Duke of
Cambridge's Own. Nickname, "57th & 77th".

I see back in mid 1870 it was in England nicknamed "The Pothooks",
and Regiment was called "East Middlesex Regiment of Foot".

In 1880 it was at Poona - Bombay still the 77th. In 1884/86 is was
numbered 57/77.

See: http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/077-787.htm Also:

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/057-757.htm

They merged with the 57th Foot.