ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2006-01 > 1137459125

From: "Gordon A. Watts" <>
Subject: Re: Voting tomorrow - census question
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:52:05 -0800

Hi Bonnie.

I suspect that you are mixing apples and oranges here. Assuming you are
referring to the upcoming federal election, there will be no question
regarding release of personal information in 92 years on the ballots.

Where you will be asked this question will be on the upcoming 2006 National
Census of Canada, believed to take place in this coming May. Unless
respondents to Census place a tick in the YES box on the Census schedule,
information about them will NEVER be made available to those seeking their
ancestors in the future.

28 June 2005 ended a seven year battle to regain the public access to
Historic Census Records, 92 years after collection, that existing
legislation already stated we were entitled to. It is extremely important
that we encourage everyone we know to respond positively to the question on
the Census schedule. For those ticking the NO box, or not ticking either
option , information they provide will NEVER be available -- in 92 years or
otherwise.

Enjoy the Census!

Gordon A. Watts
Co-chair, Canada Census Committee