ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2005-06 > 1120169338

Subject: re: [ONT] Post 1901 Census -- WHERE and WHEN
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:08:58 -0400

The following is posted at the Archives site at http://www.collectionscanada.ca/whats-new/013-233-e.html

Notice to Clients
As many of you are aware, Bill S-18 has now received Royal Assent. Under this amended legislation, personal census
records for censuses taken between 1911 and 2001 will be made available through Library and Archives Canada 92 years
after each census took place.

Library and Archives Canada has received the official transfer of the 1911 census records from Statistics Canada. To
facilitate access to these records, a number of standard policies and procedures need to be followed before the product
is launched. We are working very hard to release this information to researchers and the general public as quickly as
possible. We hope to do this by early August.

> As to the WHEN -- it had been our belief that Library and Archives
> Canada had things all set up and ready to go as soon as Royal Assent had
> been given to Bill S-18, and Statistics Canada had given over control of
> the 1911 records to the Librarian and Archivist. We had thought it
> might be as simple as putting up a link to already scanned and prepared
> schedules of Census. Perhaps this was wishful thinking rather than
> fact.

Bill

This thread: