ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2005-06 > 1119985551

From: "Gordon A. Watts" <>
Subject: Post 1901 Census -- Senator Milne's Press Release
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:11:21 -0700

Greetings All.

FYI

Gordon

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul, Jeff: SEN" <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 10:46 AM
Subject: [CCC] Senator Milne's Press Release

Here is the latest from the boss!

Jeff Paul
Policy Advisor
Office of the Hon. Lorna Milne
Ph: 613-947-9744
Cel: 613-715-2965

CAMPAIGN FOR RELEASE OF HISTORIC CENSUS RECORDS FINALLY OVER

OTTAWA - June 28, 2005 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Senator Lorna Milne (L-Brampton) was celebrating this morning as the
House of Commons gave unanimous consent to pass Bill S-18 an Act to
amend the Statistics Act, to allow for the release of historic census
records.

"It is absolutely wonderful. This represents seven years of effort
since I first raised a notice of inquiry in the Senate." said Milne.
"The historic census finally has been secured as a public historic
record for the use of all Canadians, and I could not be happier".

In 1998 Statistics Canada raised concerns about the legality of the
release of the historic census records. This led to 7 years of
investigation, analysis, debate, and discussion over how to permit the
use of historic census records in Canada.

"I want to thank all of the Ministers who have put so much effort on
this file. Ministers Manley, Rock, Robillard, Emerson all put
significant work on this file, and I am so pleased that Minister Emerson
took swift action, building on the work of previous ministers, to push
this thing through." said Milne. "It is certainly a very happy day for
all Canadians".

It is expected that the 1911 census that was taken 94 years ago will be
released in due time. "It is my understanding that the Archives of
Canada is working as quickly as possible to put this online" noted
Milne.

Special thanks also go out to Muriel Davidson, Gordon Watts, Chad
Gaffield, Lois Sparling, and all of the rank and file of the Canada
Census Campaign who put in so much effort to the cause.

For more information, please contact Jeff Paul, Policy Advisor to
Senator Milne at 613-947-9744 or at 613-715-2965.

- 30 -

This thread: