ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2004-11 > 1101756132

From: Tom Kyte <>
Subject: Banns
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:23:08 -0500

My turn to weigh in on this subject. I use to go the Anglican church and
this is what I know of banns being read. Excuse me if I repeat what has
already been said.
In the Anglican church anyway, the banns were read of a couples
intention to marry for 3 consecutive Sundays. The names were read and it
was stated if anyone knew of a reason why these two should not be
married they had to speak up.
When you read the banns, then a marriage licence did not have to be
purchased from the government, note the word "purchased". But that does
not mean that the marriage did not have to be registered with the
government, it did.

Tom Kyte

This thread: