ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2004-11 > 1101396978

From: "Lorine McGinnis Schulze" <>
Subject: Re: [ONT] Naturalization
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:36:18 -0500

Mary,

From 1763 to 1 January 1947, people born in the provinces
and colonies of British North America were all British
subjects.

Thus immigrants from Great Britain and the Commonwealth
(England, Ireland, Wales or Scotland) did not have to be
naturalized.

Ttaking the oath meant becoming a British subject -- and
they already were.

You can read more about Naturalization Records in Canada,
who had to naturalize, when records began, what records
exist and where to find them, at
http://naturalizationrecords.com/canada/

I'm afraid I'm not much of a statistics person, so I can't
answer your question about percentages. It's an interesting
one! There may be more info at the website referenced
above, or at a government site for naturalization. You
could also write to Citizenship and Immigration Canada -
the mailing address is given at Naturalization Records
Canada (URL above)

There is a partial index of naturalizations available in
selected issues of the Government newspaper The Canada
Gazette. Issues between 1918 and 1938 provide, at various
intervals, lists of aliens who have been naturalized by the
Secretary of State. The newspaper is available at the
National Archives of Canada in Ottawa and at some Canadian
University Libraries. An index is available online and
there is a link to it from
http://naturalizationrecords.com/canada/

Lorine

This thread: