ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2004-11 > 1101386043

From: "Lorine McGinnis Schulze" <>
Subject: Re: [ONT] Naturalization
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 07:34:03 -0500

On 24 Nov 2004 at 22:22, Gunson&Jones wrote:

> My great grandfather was naturalized in 1896.
>
> Could someone tell me if a record of this could be found
> somewhere?

Citizenship and Immigration Canada holds records of
naturalization and citizenship from 1854. The originals of
records dated between 1854 and 1917 have been destroyed.
However a nominal card index survives. It provides
information compiled at the time of naturalization, such as
present and former place of residence, former nationality,
occupation, date of certification, name and location of the
responsible court. The index rarely contains any other
genealogical information.

You can read more about Naturalization Records in Canada,
when records began, what records exist and where to find
them, at
http://naturalizationrecords.com/canada/

A link to an online form, plus a mailing address for
ordering a search of the 1854-1917 records is there

Good luck in your search,
Lorine

-- Lorine McGinnis Schulze

* Olive Tree Genealogy (Ships Passenger Lists)
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/
* Naturalization Records
http://naturalizationrecords.com/
* Images of Ships Lists