ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2004-10 > 1099269296

From: "vardy-wands" <>
Subject: RE: [ONT] Trace Marriage Locations
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 19:34:57 -0500

Hello Phillip:

1. The Westdale church has a site with a photo album section that may be
of help:

http://www.geocities.com/westdale_united/

There is also a 'Postcards of Hamilton's Past" site with a CHURCHES
section. CLICK on 'vintage postcards' phrase which is highlighted in
the last line or so of the last paragraph on the page that comes up.
Not a lot but perhaps of use to you.

The United Church site, if you are sure it is a 'United' church they
were married in, has a church locator with several churches listed in
Hamilton:

http://www.united-church.ca/locator/

I also came across a site, when I did a 'google' search that brought up
a firm of architects who had done so work for this church...and that may
explain the differences in appearance for you. This site is at:

http://www.bbrarchitect.com/churchprojects/UZ.html

Also from this site you can see that there is also a Westdale
Prebyterian church in Hamilton.

Hope this is helpful on that part of your enquiry.

2. Your grandparents - The address is probably 42 Breadalbane Street
which is just a few blocks away from me. Currently it is a short street
running between Bay St and Yonge St (northbound streets) and between
Wellesley St and College St. I'll check out the address for you, in the
city of Toronto directories, when I'm next at the library. I don't know
if a church is still on this street but I'll take a look.

You can check out the general location, very central, as you can see at
this site:

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/torontomaps/index.htm

Just CLICK on the map illustration that comes up, and gradually zoom in
by CLICKing until you can see what you want.

Regards,
Allan Wands
Toronto