ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2004-08 > 1093497873

From: "Kathie Orr" <>
Subject: RE: Death Registrations
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:27:23 -0400

After reading thousands of birth, marriage and death registrations I have
learned one should never assume that people were registered under the names
you know them by. Clerks, parents, doctors, and ministers got things wrong
or mixed up. I have one family member whose birth was registered three times
and each one was different, the grandfather, the father and finally the
mother registered the child.

The registrations we look at are generally a copy, the original was kept at
the local office, so you add the possibility of transcription error.

You then have to add in the possibility of indexing error. I have found
people who on the registration had a number of given names and the indexer
picked the 2nd or 3rd name to use in the index.

I have seen cases of twins registered in one registration and only one of
the names appears in the index.

I have seen cases when corrections have been made later to the registrations
and some times you have the old name indexed and in other cases it is the
new name that has been indexed.

And then you have people who were registered under names they did never know
they had been given. Two of my mother's cousins were given the name Ruth at
birth but that name never appears in any other record.

In the marriage index, I have found times when only one of the couple was
indexed. (Did the indexer go on a coffee break half way through and only did
one name.) I have found registrations when neither name shows up in the

I have seen cases when the doctor or minister was registering a whole group
at one time and mixed names up.

These are records created by humans and humans make mistakes.

Kathie Orr
KORR Services
405 - 100 Maitland St., Toronto, ON M4Y 1E2
416-944-1794 Fax 416-944-3632
stay in touch with your past to ensure your future