ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2004-04 > 1081698087

From: "Donald Boyle" <>
Subject: GEDCOM and SHARING FILES
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:41:35 -0400

I learned the lesson the hard way. I sent a cousin my gedcom file for his own use and later found it on ancestry.com and the LDS Family Search.
He would not remove it and when I contacted both sources I was told the only person that could remove it was the person who submitted it.
He changed his server so the contact shown was no longer valid.
Do not send anything, repeat anything, unless you remove all notes and then send only the information on that persons family and limit the number of generations.
Since then I have had several relatives very upset and some will not even talk to me as I gathered the information with the understanding it would not be put on the public domain unless they approved.

This thread: