ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2004-04 > 1081465184

From: "Lorine McGinnis Schulze" <>
Subject: FROM LIST ADMIN re VIRUS WARNINGS
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 18:59:44 -0400

On 1 Apr 2004 at 17:30, Dwayne & Wendy wrote:

> Unfortunately a virus may have been passed to me through an
> address book virus .

It is always of concern if we think we have a virus.

If you have concerns about viruses write to me privately
but please don't start a virus thread on the list. Most
often the virus warnings sent by subscribers turn out to be
hoaxes. The warning sent by Dwayne and Wendy (who I am sure
had the best of intentions) is a HOAX.

Jdbgmgr.exe is the file to which the hoax refers, and it is
the Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java.
.
For more info on this hoax see
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbg
mgr.exe.file.hoax.html

That is why we have the NO VIRUS WARNINGS rule on mailing
lists - to stop the spread of these hoax messages.

You can't get a virus from a Rootsweb mailing list and you
can't give one to the list either.

Here is your best way to protect yourself from getting a
virus:

1. Do not open _any_ unexpected attachment

2. Keep your anti-virus protection current

3. Pay attention to the virus warnings from your anti-virus
software.

4. Bookmark this website and visit it frequently! It is
your job as an Internet user to be aware of what the real
dangers are (legitimate worms, viruses) versus the hoaxes
and myths AND to know how to protect yourself

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/

If you are unsure of your current security, Norton has a
*free* assessment tool to check your computer

http://security1.norton.com/ssc/

Last but not least, do NOT write to the list about viruses -

*** NO VIRUS WARNINGS are to be posted to our list.**

If you have concerns, write to your listowner. The email
address was given in your Welcome Message but for those who
didn't read it, read it but didn't save it, here it is
again

Lorine McGinnis Schulze
--
* The Olive Tree Genealogy