ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2004-03 > 1079628334

From: "David Kemlo" <>
Subject: Re: [ONT] RE: Colbert birth record story ... 1901
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:45:34 -0500

Like a lot of readers on this list I've enjoy this thread very much. I
thought it odd when I noticed Bert Boyd as part of this family in the 1901
census. I than began to wonder if Bert was a Barnardo Child. (home child).
Between 1867 and 1901 over 9,000 Barnardo boys emigrated to Canada. This
could add a whole new saga to the story... What with the issues at hand,
why add to their troubles by inviting into their home a child who may have
had a troubled or unfortunate childhood.

I have no proof that Bert Boyd was a home child.. just another road to
travel down.

Thanks
David

I found Francis (now Frank) Colbert in the 1901 census. He is still in
W.Nissouri Twp., Middlesex Co. (87-f-2 pg 3 T-6481). William Colbert the
head of the household is now a widower, living with him is son George,
daughter-in-law Harriet A., Bert Boyd a domestic and Frank Colbert b 12 July
1879, age 21 is listed as a lodger. Listed next is the family of James
Cunningham. KORR Services

This thread: