ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2003-06 > 1055910128

Subject: Re: [ONT] St. Andrews' Ward
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 00:22:08 -0400

Doug and Shari

Your time frames might be too early, but
have you tried looking through newspapers
of the day to see if this Dr. Gunn did any
advertising? While I was looking for some
obits in a Rhode Island paper, I came across advertisements
for Dr. Zambarano who was looking for patients
with TB symptoms. He was treating them at
a place called Wallum Lake, which became a
TB Sanitarium. Today it is called the Zambarano
Hospital.

Doug -

You've probably already done this, but I found
a description of monomania
http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/2002/07/12.html

monomania \mon-uh-MAY-nee-uh; -nyuh\, noun:
1. Pathological obsession with a single subject or idea.
2. Excessive concentration of interest upon one particular subject or
idea.

http://www.sfbg.com/News/33/07/Features/plug.html
monomania" -- an archaic disorder coined by the French psychologist
Jean Etienne Dominique Esquirol in 1838 that is not listed in the
current edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental
Disorders,
the standard psychiatric reference.

http://www.szasz.com/iol3.html

Madness as Monomania
The successful creator and the successful destroyer resemble
one another in their single-minded determination to achieve
their goal. Nineteenth-century French alienists medicalized
single-mindedness by calling it "monomania." According to the
Oxford English Dictionary, the term, first used in 1823, refers to
"A form of insanity in which the patient is irrational on one subject
only"; it is also used to identify "An exaggerated enthusiasm for
or devotion to one subject; a craze."

Of course none of these can tell you what the subject of his
fixation might have been. The poor man could have been an
alcoholic, a drug addict, or a schizophrenic, but he could also
have been fervently religious, or he might have been a genius
fixated on solving some problem which was beyond the scope of
his peers.

If you do a google search for monomania and "mental illness"
there are a ton of sites which mention it.

Lisa

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!