ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2003-04 > 1050926311

From: "Lorine McGinnis Schulze" <>
Subject: Re: [ONT] Western land grants info
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 07:58:31 -0400
In-Reply-To: <003d01c307c2$d43fb2a0$f004efd1@s3a7b7>

On 20 Apr 2003 at 22:58, WENDY CRAWFORD wrote:

> Hello
> Could anyone assist me in telling where the section
> ,township, Range etc would be for the following:

> Western Land Grants (1870-1930)
> Search terms : " : 2=1 : 1=YOUNGLOVE.R100. : "
> References: 1 - 3 of 3
> Legal Land Description

Ontario doesn't use this system of land measurement.

The NAC (it looks like this info came from there) has a
very nice explanation of this land measurement system
online. It's found under Western Land Grants (1870-1930) at

Click on ONLINE HELP on this page above. Then read down the
page for a detailed explanation of how the land is
measured and named , such as "Townships are numbered from
south to north starting at the U.S. border..... . " That
should allow you to look at a map and figure out the
approximate location.

However if you need more precise answers re the exact
location you'd be better off posting your question to a
list that is topically suited (not Ontario list).

There's a complete list of Rootsweb Mailing lists at


There's bound to be some for the Western Provinces. Failing
that you could also surf over to the Canada GenWeb site and
look for a provincial site that uses this kind of land
measurement. They may have maps online.

Ontario uses Concessions, Lots and Townships and Counties.

Lorine McGinnis Schulze
* The Olive Tree Genealogy
* Naturalization Records
* USA Genealogy


This thread: