ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2003-04 > 1050926311

From: "Lorine McGinnis Schulze" <>
Subject: Re: [ONT] Western land grants info
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 07:58:31 -0400

On 20 Apr 2003 at 22:58, WENDY CRAWFORD wrote:

> Hello
> Could anyone assist me in telling where the section
> ,township, Range etc would be for the following:

> Western Land Grants (1870-1930)
> Search terms : " : 2=1 : 1=YOUNGLOVE.R100. : "
> Legal Land Description

Ontario doesn't use this system of land measurement.

The NAC (it looks like this info came from there) has a
very nice explanation of this land measurement system
online. It's found under Western Land Grants (1870-1930) at
http://www.archives.ca/02/020111_e.html

Click on ONLINE HELP on this page above. Then read down the
page for a detailed explanation of how the land is
measured and named , such as "Townships are numbered from
south to north starting at the U.S. border..... . " That
should allow you to look at a map and figure out the
approximate location.

However if you need more precise answers re the exact
location you'd be better off posting your question to a
list that is topically suited (not Ontario list).

There's a complete list of Rootsweb Mailing lists at

http://lists.rootsweb.com/

There's bound to be some for the Western Provinces. Failing
that you could also surf over to the Canada GenWeb site and
look for a provincial site that uses this kind of land
measurement. They may have maps online.

Ontario uses Concessions, Lots and Townships and Counties.

Lorine
Lorine McGinnis Schulze
--
* The Olive Tree Genealogy