ONTARIO-L ArchivesArchiver > ONTARIO > 2002-11 > 1036937712
From: sjmarsh <>
Subject: [ONT] Re: Montgomery's Tavern, 1837, Rebellion, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 09:15:40 -0500
No, I don't think Ann had any connection to the Montgomery Tavern family -
even though several of her daughters married Etobicoke Township men and
lived in the area.
John Montgomery, b. 1803 in Scotland, resided in Kingston ON. He was
married twice, first wife's name unknown as yet, but had one known son,
William Montgomery, b 1835 who remained in Kingston.
In 1850 John married (2) Ann TAYLOR (1828-1905) and had children:
1. Janet Montgomery b 1850 - possibly wife of Robert KIRK, m Toronto 1875
2. Isabella Montgomery b. 1852, dec. by 1861
3. Joseph Taylor Montgomery b. 1854 - loose track of him after 1861
census - poss to US?
4. Elizabeth Ann Montgomery (1857-1928), m. John David MAVEETY - lived
5. James Montgomery b. 1858 m. Martha WILLCOCKS, 1883, West Toronto
6. Phoebe Montgomery b. 1861 - dec by 1871
7. Isabella Catherine Montgomery (1864-1920) m. Ninevah Augustus
LaROSE (my line)
8. Georgina Montgomery (1866-1879)
In 1861 the family is living in Cataraqui Ward, Kingston City. John died
there in 1867 and by 1871 Ann is living in St. Patrick's Ward, Toronto,
widowed with children - Janet, James, Elizabeth, Isabella & Georgina.
I can't find them in 1881 - daus Elizabeth & Isabella already married and
living in Toronto & Etobicoke Twp.
Son James married in Toronto in 1883, then living Lambton Mills, but can
find no trace of him in 1881.
Ann Montgomery died in 1905 at the residence of her son, James, Jersey Ave.
Toronto, buried Humbervale Cemetery (aka Park Lawn).
If anyone has come across this family, I would be interested to learn of it!
At 12:01 AM 10/11/02 -0500, Brian, Carol Trollope wrote:
>Was Anne Montgomery, the owner of Montgomery's Tavern? Just wondering
>who the children of James Montgomery were?
>I had a Montgomery aunt so was just trying to piece together the