ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2001-04 > 0986327124

From: MrBrad <>
Subject: Re: [Ont] METES AND BOUNDS DEFINED
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 14:45:24 -0500

Metes and Bounds --- A term used in surveying property. It is used to
define a "closed" geometric shape. The shape can be a square, rectangle,
pie or in fact any other shape you can imagine. The approach is to define
points at the interjections of lines and then to describe the compass
direction of the line and the distance between the points. Curved lines can
be described as the arc of a circle with a known radius or as the "chord
distance" (the straight line distance between the points while the true
line is the curve). There are as many ways to write a metes and bounds as
there are people to write them. The objective is simple...describe the
boundaries of a piece of real property.

For example...imagine a diamond shaped square with all sides 100 feet.
Think of a baseball diamond and you are standing at home plate and looking
over the second base would be north. (It maybe helpful to draw a picture).
Call home plate as point number 1, first base is point 2, second base is
point 3 and third base is point 4. The lines from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4
and 4 back to 1 close the figure.

Descriptions also have a point of beginning usually a section corner or
other known spot. We can use the spot where the home base umpire stands
(about 5 feet behind home base). The metes and bounds description of this
property would be:

Beginning at a point 5.00 feet north of the "Umpires Spot" (this defines
home plate = point 1 = the point of beginning), to a point (first base)
Northeast 100.00 feet, thence to a point (this would be second base)
Northwest 100.00 feet, then to a point (third base) Southwest 100.00, and
finally Southeast 100.00 back to the point of beginning. Parcel contains
10,000 sq feet or .2295 acres (10,000 divided by 43,560).

Could also be written as:
Beginning at the umpires spot, north 00 degrees 00 minutes 5.00 feet to the
point of beginning, thence north 45 degrees 00 minutes east 100 feet, then
north 45 degrees 00 minutes west 100.00 feet, thence south 45 degrees 00
minutes 100.00 feet, thence south 45 degrees 00 minutes east 100 feet to

At 09:26 AM 04/03/2001 -0400, YankeeDD wrote:
>mete1
>
>mete (met) verb, transitive
>met·ed, met·ing, metes
>
>1.To distribute by or as if by measure; allot: mete out punishment.
>2.Archaic. To measure.
>[Middle English meten, from Old English metan.]
>
>bound1
>
>bound (bound) noun
>The upper or lower limit in a permitted range of values.
>
>This made me think about the word "mete" as used in the Epsicopal/Anglican
>service about being "mete and right so to do."
>
>Joyce Stevens
>Livonia, MI
>
>Microsoft Press® Computer and Internet Dictionary © & ? 1997, 1998 Microsoft
>Corporation. All rights reserved. Portions, The Microsoft Press® Computer
>Dictionary, 3rd Edition, Copyright © 1997 by Microsoft Press. All rights
>reserved.
>

>Excerpted from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language,
>Third Edition Copyright © 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic
>version licensed from Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V., further
>reproduction and distribution restricted in accordance with the Copyright
>Law of the United States. All rights reserved.

This thread: