ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2001-02 > 0981417361

From: "Goltz" <>
Subject: [Ont] Newspaper Clippings Simcoe County
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 18:56:01 -0500

I have borrowed, from one of my aunts, a book of newspaper articles that my
g-grandmother saved and will be posting them to his site. My g-grandmother,
Elizabeth (Covey) Edwards was raised in Midland and spent her married life
in Vasey (about 20 minutes north of Barrie in Simcoe County). Hope these
help someone.

Joanne Goltz
Belleville ON
NIXON-BROWN
Vasey United Church, Vasey, was decorated with baskets of gladioli for the
wedding August 25 of Lois Myrtle Brown, elder daughter of Mrs. Delbert Brown
of Vasey and late Delbert Brown, to Eldon Edward Nixon, elder son of Mr. and
Mrs. John Nixon of Vasey.
Rev. W.J. Burton, Hillsdale, conducted the double-ring ceremony.
Wedding music was played by Mrs. Archer Colwill, Vasey. Soloist, Mrs. Mary
Brand, of Midland, sang "I Love You Truly" before the service and "Thru the
Years" during signing of the register.
Given in marriage by her uncle, Lorne Webb of Midland, the bride wore a
floor length gown of white satin with chantilly lace yoke, bodice, peplum
and Peter Pan collar. The lace, which was adorned with rhinestones and
pearls, also formed caps over the long, pointed sleeves. Her floor length
embroidered veil was fastened to a headdress of orange blossoms and she
carried a cascade bouquet of red roses.
Mrs. Edwin Wismer, of Islington, matron of honor, wore a low-neckline gown
of mauve brocaded satin, with two bertha collars. Mrs. Eric Curry, of
Wyebridge, and Miss Emmaline Edwards, of Vasey, cousins of the groom, were
bridesmaids. They wore peach brocaded satin similarly styled. Each wore a
rhinestone necklace and earrings.
Junior bridesmaid was Miss Lorna Brown, Vasey, sister of the bride, and the
flowergirls were Miss Lynn Brown of Ebenezer, cousin of the bride and Miss
Sharon Edwards, Vasey, cousin of the groom. The junior bridesmaid was
gowned in blue brocaded satin and the flowergirls in green brocaded satin.
Their dresses were similar to those of the other attendants and they wore
lockets.
All the attendants wore matching Dutch caps and mittens and carried
nosegays of cornflowers and baby asters.
Groomsman was Glenn Nixon, of Vasey, brother of the groom. Ushers were
Delmer Brown, brother of the bride, and Orval Edwards, of Vasey and Eric
Curry of Wyebridge.
A reception followed in the Sunday School Rooms. The bride's mother
received, wearing powder blue lace over taffeta, with black accessories and
corsage of pink carnations. She was assisted by the groom's mother, who
wore navy sheet with navy and white accessories and a corsage of pink
carnations.
Guests attended from Toronto, Detroit, Aurora, Islington and Midland.
For the wedding trip through southern Ontario and the United States, the
bride wore a grey gabardine suit with navy accessories and a corsage of pink
rubrum lillies. The young couple will reside near Vasey.

This thread: