ONTARIO-L ArchivesArchiver > ONTARIO > 2001-02 > 0981137348
From: "Goltz" <>
Subject: [Ont] Newspaper Clippings Simcoe County
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 13:09:08 -0500
I have borrowed, from one of my aunts, a book of newspaper articles that my
g-grandmother saved and will be posting them to his site. My g-grandmother,
Elizabeth (Covey) Edwards was raised in Midland and spent her married life
in Vasey (about 20 minutes north of Barrie in Simcoe County). Hope these
Dr. Hosking of Hillsdale Electrocuted in Bath
Using a Sun-lamp While Bath with Young Son
Wife Believes Act Saved Boy's Life
On Sunday morning, Dr. F.J. Hosking, of Hillsdale, was electrocuted while
using a quartz ray lamp as he and his three-year old son, Bruce, were taking
their morning bath. Dr. Hosking was found dead in the bath tub by his wife,
whose attention was attracted by the cries of the boy, the latter being
Dr. Hosking, following his usual practice had, it is supposed, been using
the sun lamp on his body while he bathed himself, and when found by his wife
he had collapsed, slumped over in one end of the bath tub with the lamp
against his breast and switch turned off. It is believed that he had been
holding the lamp to direct the ray as he desired, and might have reached for
the switch with his wet hand. The water may have dripped into the switch
thus making a contact which would send the electric current through his
body, as there would be a perfect found with his body in the water. Dr.
Garnet E. Tanner, of Midland, was called, but was unable to revive the
victim when he arrived.
Mrs. Hosking, according to the Toronto Telegram, gave the following
explanation: "I heard the boy cry, but I knew his father was with him, and I
thought maybe he had got soap in his eyes, or something like that," Mrs.
Hosking declared later. "When the cries continued I went in - and there was
my husband slumped over the side of the tub, with Bruce crying his name.
The quartz lamp he had been using on himself and the baby had fallen on his
chest, which was slightly burned. The current had been turned off. I
believe he received the full shock when he turned off the switch which was
on the portable lamp."
There seems little doubt, according to the investigators, that Dr. Hosking
realized the danger and deliberately reached out to turn off the switch on
the fallen lamp. It is thought that he knew his boy might be severely
burned, or even killed, if he touched the lamp.
Crown Attorney Frank A. Hammond, Barrie, advised the Packet and Times that
an inquest would be held at Elmvale at 8 o'clock this (Thursday) evening, by
Dr. W.A. Lewis, Barrie, Chief Coroner for Simcoe County, when all the facts
will be brought out. The suggestion that members of the family had recently
received shocks when using electric switches in the house is being
investigated in the meantime by the Hydro authorities of the district.
Dr. Frederick James Hosking had been a resident of Hillsdale since 1935
when he purchased the medical practice there from Dr. C.R. Rudolph and had
taken an active interest in church and community affairs. He was medical
health officer for the Township of Medonte and Coroner for the two townships
of Medonte and Flos. He was an elder of Hillsdale United church.
Born in Vermont on April 29, 1906, he was brought to Canada when six years
of age by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. H.S. Hosking who moved to Rockwood,
Ontario. He attended school at Rockwood, Georgetown and Guelph, graduating
from the Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, in 1934. He was
attached to the staff of the Hamilton General Hospital for one year prior to
his coming to Hillsdale.
Dr. Hosking was married to Edna May Pearen, Rockwood, in April 1935, and is
survived by his widow, two children, Bruce, aged 3 years and Wayne, 14
months; also by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. H.S. Hosking, Rockwood, and one
sister and three brothers, Mrs. Neil Gordon, Guelph; Benjamin, Kirkland
Lake; William, Bathurst, N.B. and Henry, of Kirkland Lake.
Dr. W.L. Robinson, Toronto pathologist, conducted an autopsy, but cause of
death was not announced. The funeral service was held at Hillsdale on
Tuesday, and burial at Rockwood on Wednesday.
|[Ont] Newspaper Clippings Simcoe County by "Goltz" <>|