ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2001-02 > 0981041762

From: "Goltz" <>
Subject: [Ont] Newspaper Clippings Simcoe County
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:36:02 -0500

I have borrowed, from one of my aunts, a book of newspaper articles that my
g-grandmother saved and will be posting them to his site. My g-grandmother,
Elizabeth (Covey) Edwards was raised in Midland and spent her married life
in Vasey (about 20 minutes north of Barrie in Simcoe County). Hope these
help someone.

Joanne Goltz
Belleville ON
CAR IS DITCHED AND UPSIDE DOWN
W. WILSON HURT
Five Midland people had a miraculous escape from serious injury when their
car turned upside down and went into the ditch on Friday afternoon.
Wilbert Wilson, of 207 Manley Street, Miss Beth Wilson, Tom Bell and his
son Bobby, and Albert Hill were driving to Toronto to meet Private Alden
Wilson, son of Wilbert Wilson, who was returning from overseas.
Just after they had passed Richmond Hill, a car in front of them stopped
suddenly. Mr. Hill, who was driving, turned out to pass the car, but was
forced back in line by a car which was approaching from the other direction.
When he applied the brakes the car went into a spin, turned upside down, and
slid gently into the ditch.
When the passengers picked themselves up it was found that all were
uninjured except Wilbert Wilson, who had a badly bruised right shoulder.
The car was put back on the road again by a wrecking truck, and in a short
time the party were on their way again. They arrived in time to meet the
troop train and to bring their soldier home with them. Beyond bent fenders
no harm was done to the car.
GROOM, 84, BRIDE, 88
COUPLE TO LIVE HERE
(picture here)
"I'm taking a trip over seas to get married," Arthur Bannister, 84-year-old
retired gentleman of Toronto calmly advised friends over a year ago, as he
left for England.
His bride-to-be was Mrs. Sarah Aldridge, 88, also of Toronto, went to
England a year earlier to care for an ailing 94-year-old sister.
Mr. Bannister's trip culminated in a quiet church wedding in Southampton,
Eng., and a special poem was written to mark the event by Agnes Carpenter,
the patient.
When Agnes Carpenter died three months later, Mr. and Mrs. Bannister began
plans for an ocean trip to Canada. Now on the high seas they plan to settle
down here in true story-book style to live happily ever after.
Mrs. Bannister's father was the royal coach-builder for Queen Victoria and
he designed a medal for the queen's diamond jubilee.
This Canadian octogenarian couple became acquainted while both were active
in the work of the United church presbytery. Mrs. Bannister's first
husband, George Aldridge, an engineer, died two years ago. Mr. Bannister's
first wife died several years ago.
"Arthur and I were married Jan. 3", Mrs. Bannister advised her family by
cable. "It was very lonely in England alone," she stated, explaining the
hardships to elderly people because of shortages of fuel and food.
Mrs. Bannister was born in England but came to Canada early in her married
life and although she has returned several times she has lived in Canada
more than 40 years.
Arthur Bannister visited his bride-to-be occasionally before she left for
overseas. "The romance was a surprise to us," declared Mrs. E.F. Aldridge,
daughter-in-law of Crestview Rd. "There was no mention of it until just
before Mr. Bannister sailed."
Plans for the home-coming call for a bang-up party, a couple of showers and
flowers from friends and relatives the instant they hit town. They are
aboard the Empress of Canada, expected to arrive in Montreal today.

This thread: