ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2001-01 > 0980899941

From: "Patti Hand" <>
Subject: [Ont] Re: Grandma's Scrapbook - Page 75
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:12:21 -0600

I wondered why this one didn't get posted and I think I know why. In the
MURPHY-BARTLETT article there is an unsavory word used to describe the color
brown. I will xxx it out and you can use your imagination.

These clippings were saved in a book by my great-grandmother Sarah Elizabeth
(SELBY) AGAR, or perhaps by her mother, Eliza (BELL) SELBY. Unfortunately,
most are not dated and I do not know which newspaper they were from.
However, I suspect that many of them were from The Alliston Herald. I will
type them just as they appear -- spelling mistakes, punctuation and all!

Each posting here represents one page (one side) from the book.

*****
McKNIGHT-BRADEN.
A pleasing event took place at Maple Grove Farm, Essa; the home of Mr. and
Mrs. W. J. BRADEN, on Wednesday evening of last week, when their only
daughter, Miss Martha, was united in marriage to Mr. Rich. McKNIGHT of this
town by the Rev. S. H. BROWN. The bride was becomingly attired in a suit of
castor vicenia cloth, with white silk bodice and ascerial lace collar. The
bridesmaid, Miss Lizzie GORDON, cousin of the bride, was dressed in cream
lustre. The groom was supported by his cousin, Mr. Will McKNIGHT of
Tecumseth. Miss Gertie SCOTT made a charming little flower girl, dressed in
white silk. The groom's gift to the bride was a chip diamond crescent and
to the bridesmaid a gold ring set with garnets and rubies. After a
sumptuous wedding breakfast, Mr. and Mrs. McKNIGHT drove to their home,
Wellington street, Alliston. We wish the young couple long life and
happiness.

*****
WEDDINGS
MURPHY-BARTLETT.
A quiet wedding took place at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. E. BAYCROFT, 54
Hillsdale avenue, Toronto, on February 6, when Miss Beatrice Maud BARTLETT,
eldest daughter of Squire BARTLETT of Bridgeburg Lodge, Catcott, Sussex,
England, became the bride of Mr. A. Milton MURPHY, son of Mr. and Mrs. John
MURPHY of Alliston, Ontario. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. C. W.
REYNOLDS, pastor of Davisville Methodist Church. It was the wish of the
bride that the marriage should be as quiet as possible owing to recent
bereavements. Two brothers, serving with the colors in France have been
killed. One, an officer in the Sussex Field Artillery, lost his life in the
fight for Cambrai. Another brother is reported killed. The house was
attractively decorated with daffodils and American beauty roses. The bride
looked smart in a travelling suit of nxxxer brown (!) broadcloth, wearing a
large velvet hat and fox furs. Many beautiful presents were received,
including a gold watch, the gift of the groom. The happy couple left on the
afternoon train for Niagara Falls, Buffalo and Cleveland. After a short
honeymoon they will take up their residence on the
old MURPHY homestead near Thompsonville, Ont.

*****
After almost four months sickness the wife of Mr. Richard McKNIGHT departed
this life on Sunday morning at the early age of 34. Deceased was a daughter
of the late Thos. ALDERSON of West Essa. The funeral took place on Monday
afternoon at 2:30 o'clock and the large attendance evinced the great respect
in which she was held, and the deep sympathy the friends and relatives have
for the husband in the loss of his young partner.

*****
KNIGHT-HENDERSON.
A quiet wedding was celebrated on Monday afternoon at West Essa when Mr. W.
F. KNIGHT of this town was united in marriage to Miss Ida HENDERSON,
daughter of Mr. David HENDERSON of West Essa. The ceremony was performed in
the presence of the immediate friends of the contracting parties. Mr. and
Mrs. KNIGHT left on the evening train for Toronto, Elora and other points
and on their return will reside on Victoria street east.

*****
BLACHFORD -- After a lingering illness, at the residence of his brother, R.
T. BLACHFORD, 19 Winchester Street, Toronto, on Thursday evening, Dec. 17th,
1903, Wm. D. BLACHFORD, in his 50th year.

*****
BEATTY-ARNOLD.
The home of Mr. and Mrs. John ARNOLD was the scene of an interesting event
on Wednesday evening, January 20th, when their second daughter, Margaret
Gertrude, became the bride of Mr. Maurice G. BEATTY, one of Alliston's
prosperous young merchants. Rev. S. F. SHARP performed the ceremony in the
presence of the immediate relatives of the young couple. Mr. and Mrs.
BEATTY have taken up their residence on Victoria street.

*****
BROOKS -- At 23rd Casualty Clearing Station, France, died of wounds received
at Vimy Ridge, Robert (Bob) Grenville BROOKS, 78th Battalion, youngest and
dearly beloved son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur BROOKS, 1899 Queen street east,
aged nineteen (formerly with his father at Ontario Cork Company).

Patti

This thread: