ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 2000-04 > 0955854092

From: Linda Neely <>
Subject: [ONT] Re: need guidance
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 21:01:32 -0600

I would highly recommend you make a visit to the Dufferin County Museum
and Archives, near Orangeville. This is a marvellous little archives
and I have found all kinds of good information about my Melancthon
Township relatives there as Melancthon is now in Dufferin County.
http://www.dufferincounty.on.ca/departments/dufferincomuseum/

Linda
Regina, Sk

> Subject: [ONT] Need Guidance
> Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 19:45:00 -0700
>
> I am hoping to visit Ontario and stay in Georgetown, Ontario, in about
> a month. I plan to take the bus into Toronto and spent a day at the
> Ontario Archives. I have no knowledge of the Archives, and would like
> some advice.
> The earliest I can find my ggrandfather, Jonathan (spelled many ways)
> KITCHEN is
> the 1861 Census of Melancthon Township, Grey County. I have looked
> through the 1851 Census but could not find him
>
> The 1861 stated he was a Farmer age 36, born in U.Canada, religion
> Baptist,
> wife, Phoebe, Age 36. born U. Canada
> Son, Andrew, Age 13; Son Charles, age 12; daughter Mary Jane, age 7; son
> George age 5; son Robert age 2.
>
> I cannot find Phoebe's maiden name or their marriage --presume it was in
> the 1840's before Andrew was born.
>
> Would appreciate opinion as to how much I can accomplish in one day:
> also any and all help anyone can give me.
> Yours sincerely,
> Marjorie Fisher in Southern California.

This thread: