ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 1999-11 > 0942342733

From: "Joyce Stevens" <>
Subject: Re: [ONT] Lest We Forget
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:52:13 -0500

My dog tags are metal and have a notch at the end. The tags were issued in
pairs. One was left in the jaw of the deceased on the battlefield, teeth
fitted into the notch and the jaw then closed. The other was picked up by
the medic and returned to an appropriate place for identification. Unknowns
were almost nonexistent once this practice began.
Dog tags were nicknamed thus because they do resemble the licenses dogs
wear.