ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 1999-02 > 0919282916

From: "Mary Hurst" <>
Subject: Re: [ONTARIO-L] Special Collections Hamilton Public Library.
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 99 12:21:56 PST

----------

> Michael Costello wrote: mailto:
>
> Hello John!
> Don't forget those extra marriages for the years 1869 to 1873 as listed
> in the newsletter!
>
> There is plenty of parking in the downtown area of Hamilton, across from
> the Library on York Boulevard. Unfortunately, the Indexes are just
> that,
> and contain no information except for a name, date of event, place of
> event, and a registration number. You would still have to get to the
> Archives to find the actual documents. You could use the Hamilton
> library
> to do your ground-work, then go the Archives knowing exactly what your
> looking for.
>Before you travel to the Ontario Archives in Toronto to look up their
collection of births (1901) marriages (1916) deaths (1926) plus the
additional indices and records for marriages 1869-1872 remember these
records are all available at the Church of Jesus Christ Family History
Centres. Kithcener for example, has the same reocrds as the Provincial
Archives (for this data) I expect the Hamilton LDS centre has them.
Phone your closest LDS centre before shuffling off to TO.
Also, many libraries have acquired at least the indicies for the BMD's
held at the Ontario Archives and the LDS centres. It saves time to look up
the reel/film numbers at the local library and then look up the records
themselves at the LDS centres or wherever you chose to go.

This thread: