ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 1998-11 > 0910332384

From: "Jay A. Nellis" <>
Subject: Re: [ONTARIO-L] Surrogate Index???
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 00:06:24 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Blackadder Family wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I was at my closest LDS today and came upon these records for Grey Co.
> They start around 1870's (I think it was) and go up to 1969! The
> headings on each page are: Name, non-contentious No, Grant No, Audit No.
> There are males and females listed, alphabetically by starting letter of
> last name, but not further alphabetized.
>
> Could someone please tell me what these are for and what I do with the
> numbers listed? A few of my ancestors are listed there, so would like to
> know what sort of info it refers to.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Lynn Blackadder
> Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada

Lynn,

Sounds like you've hit on one of my favourite sources for family info -
Probate Files. What you have is the Index book for these files. The NCB
and GB numbers are the file numbers of the case. You now need to check
the LDS Library Catalog for the film numbers that have the actual files
on them. If memory serves me correctly, cases through about 1929 are
filmed. Files after that have to be ordered from the Ontario Archives in
Toronto.

Happy hunting,

Jay

Jay A. Nellis
Rockford, IL USA

Those who give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

This thread: