ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 1998-10 > 0907538788

From: "E. Rodier" <>
Subject: Ontario settlers from Sligo, Ireland
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 16:06:28 -0600

I'm trying to trace ancestors back to specific communities in Sligo County,
Ireland to find out if my great-grandparents might have been distantly
related. How did a man from Toronto Gore in Peel County happen to meet a
girl from Minto in Wellington County in the 1880s? Both families farmed.

Toronto Gore Twp, Peel County - Robert Shaw and Alice (Lockhart) settled
1830 after a few years in New York State. One of his sons married an
unrelated Shaw. One of his grandsons married a Morrison.

Chatham, Kent County, Ontario - Robert Shaw's sister Mrs. Robert (Bessie)
CAMPBLL lived there

Elora, then Harriston in Minto, Twp. Wellington County - Wilkin brothers
George and Richard settled separately in the 1850s. Morrison sisters lived
in Minto. Margaret Morrison Wilkin born 1822 in Ireland. Jane Morrison
Morrison was born 13 Nov 1830 in Tubbercurry, Sligo County, Ireland
according to 1901 Minto Twp census and her 1917 obituary. So far one
Morrison contact on this Ontario list has shared information.

Pictures of nearly all of these people taken in their later years
1880s-1890s, ages from census records (most able to read & write), no firm
marriage dates/locations in Ireland. Did groups of friends or relatives move
to Ontario together or how did they manage to get settled in the same areas?

I have about 2500 names for relatives of these ancestors from Sligo and
information to share. Additional SHAW spouse names are Wm. TAYLOR
(Brampton), Ann HUNTER, James BEAMISH, Thomas JOHNSON, Mary Ann LOUGHEED in
Peel County.

WILKIN spouse names mostly from Wellington County are Margaret DUCKLOW,
William ROE, Lucinda ERWIN, Adam SPENCE resided in Fordwich, Alfred B.
CUSHING born Kenilworth.

RUTTAN descendant of Loyalist family originally from Adolphustown married a
Wilkin granddaughter in 1917 and I have his CLARK family history from Essex
County.

Elizabet

This thread: