ONTARIO-L Archives

Archiver > ONTARIO > 1998-08 > 0903786734

From: "Rick McCullough2" <>
Subject: RE:Where oh Where is/was Dakota?
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 11:52:14 +0000

Dear Carolyn:

Greeting from the 'Great White North' *G*

I just got your email, so I took a quick peek in my AAA Road
Atlas.....a pretty good geneology tool.....and I see that there is a
Thompson, North Dakota located just south of Grand Forks, in Grand
Forks County. I would suspect that if you check here, you will find
what you are looking for.

It was a common migration pattern for settlers from Ontario to
relocate further west in Manitoba, Minnesota, and North Dakota during
that time period. The Dakota Territory was open to homesteaders in
1863, but didn't become a state until 1889. It's quite possible, that
in 1898 people 'way back' in Ontario would still call this area
'Dakota'.

*crossing my fingers for you*
Polly McCullough

This thread: